The New Shadow IT Quiz
“70% of unauthorized access to data is committed by an organization’s own employees.” (Gigaom)
According to an old proverb, “ignorance is bliss.” In the IT and the business world, this could not be further from the truth. What you don’t know can lead to an increase in spending, higher risk of data breach, and a seemingly endless amount of headache and frustration.
Take this quiz to find out what you really know about shadow IT and how it can affect your organization.
1. Today’s end users are less experienced and completely naïve when it comes to technology.
2. The definition "Information Technology systems and solutions built and used inside organizations without explicit organizational approval" describes:
a. Shadow IT
b. Citizen IT
c. Creative problem solving
d. IT solutions
e. BYOS – Bring Your Own Solutions
3. End users often opt for Shadow IT solutions because of:
a. Pressure to perform
b. System simplicity
c. The need to circumvent bottlenecks
d. Efforts to avoid a slow down
e. Compatibility with mobile devices
f. Unsupported legacy applications
g. All of the above
4. Shadow IT leads to which of the following:
a. Increased IT operational costs
b. At-risk regulatory compliance
c. Increased system vulnerability
d. Increased risk of data leaks or breaches
e. All of the above
5. Shadow IT is best controlled with the following:
a. Annual security policy updates
b. Annual security training
c. Managed file transfer (MFT) platform
d. All of the above
Answers – Shadow IT Quiz
1. Answer: B. False.
2. Answer: A. Shadow IT
3. Answer: G. All of the above
4. Answer: E. All of the above
5. Answer: D. All of the above
“Data loss and downtime costs $1.7 trillion each year.” (EMC)
Today’s workforce is far from naïve when it comes to technology. They know how to use it and have a strong expectation of how technology should be delivered.
When they run into situations where they need to get the job done, and they are not finding the tools or support they need, they often seek workarounds—thus shadow IT was born. Unfortunately, there are far more drawbacks to shadow IT, than there are benefits.
These drawbacks that come with shadow IT practices, and these drawbacks can be extremely damaging to an organization’s security posture and bottom line.
Keep it Simple
Instead of continuously fighting the shadow IT battle:
- Work with your employees and establish a common ground. Understanding why they use a work-around can help you determine a better route, such as more training or new tools to prevent any additional shadow IT problems.
- Survey or audit your employees’ processes. It is human nature for most users to choose the path of least resistance, sometimes trying harder to find a workaround as opposed to complying with internal security policies or best practices.
- Make it easy for employees to follow IT policies. Keep communication open, simple, and clear. Provide security training on a regular basis. The entire company needs to be involved if you hope to reduce your security risks.
Empower Employees with EFT Workspaces
EFT Workspaces gives employees a fast, easy, and secure way to collaborate and share files of any size, even while retaining their existing workflows, all while keeping IT in control.
No user training necessary – EFT Workspaces is a user-friendly to help ensure your staff can securely send files of any type or size.